We’ve all had those days where we just don’t feel like going out. And on those days, all we ever feel like doing is staying in bed, or curling up on the couch with a blanket and a constant supply of food.
Mac and Cheese - Steve Johnson, Flickr
Why do we love to eat our feelings? There’s a Spanish proverb Barriga llena, corazón contento, ‘full belly, happy heart’, that perfectly encapsulates the idea of comfort food. Eating makes us feel better, in moderation that is, and sometimes we just need to feel good.
Everyone is different though, so we went around the office and asked the Foodi team to name their personal go-to comfort food.
1. Pizza Who can resist a piping hot pizza loaded with all of your favourite toppings and smothered in cheese? Certainly not us!
Pizza - British Mum, Flickr
2. Ice Cream On the other end of the spectrum, we have this deliciously cold dessert. Maybe it’s the way it’s all creamy and sweet and doesn’t take much energy to eat; whatever it is, digging into a tub of your favourite ice cream is a joy everyone understands.
Magic Shell Ice Cream - Micky**, Flickr
3. Garlic Bread One can never have too much garlic bread. Whether you’re having it with pizza, with soup, or just on its own, garlic bread never fails to please.
Garlic Bread - Charles Haynes, Flickr
4. Hot Chips and Gravy Can we get a yes please? A huge hit of potato goodness, drenched in everyone’s guilty pleasure — there is nothing we don’t love about this particular food. And if you add a little extra cheese on top, who's going to stop you?
Poutine (hot chips and gravy, topped with cheese curds) - Crispin Semmens, Flickr
5. Baked Goods Cakes, muffins, scones, breads — we’re cheating a little and putting all of them into one category because we just can’t choose between sweet and savoury. Sometimes we crave a nice, big slice of of the most decadent chocolate cake, and other times we hear the siren call of a freshly baked loaf. And when you’re faced with the decision between two things you love, why not both?
Freshly baked banana bread - Ginny, Flickr
What are your go-to comfort foods? Make sure to let us know in the comments, or share some of your own favourites!