Belgian waffles with strawberries - Ralph Daily, Flickr
It’s the end of the work week — or, as we like to call it here at Foodi, the beginning of the weekend — and our minds have turned to the little luxuries we’ll be looking forward to tomorrow.
Working a regular nine-to-five job often means waking up early and rushing around in the morning to get to work. Breakfast is usually on-the-go, and never really anything substantial until you get into the office. So when the weekend arrives, being able to have that extra lie-in, and then sitting down at the dining table for breakfast, is a much cherished pastime.
Following this, it only made sense to poll the office for a Top 10 list of breakfast foods. Here’s what we came up with, in no particular order:
1. Big Breakfast Nothing beats a hearty big breakfast with the works: eggs, bacon, mushrooms, sausages, hash browns, and tomatoes.
2. Pancakes Whether you like them soft and fluffy, or with crepe-like thinness, pancakes are great for both sweet and savoury palates. A definite crowd-pleaser.
Pancakes - Cheryl, Flickr
3. French Toast Scrumptious and indulgent, you can never say no to French toast. Try using a peanut butter and jam sandwich as a base, and then finishing it off with a slab of butter and golden syrup, for double the fun.
Hong Kong-style French Toast - Alpha, Flickr
4. Bagels Toasted bagels with cream cheese and smoked salmon? Hand it over! Alternatively, blueberry bagels with butter and jam is a definite winner over here.
Mini bagels with salmon and cream - Marcel030NL, Flickr
5. Toast Toast is one of those amazing things that go well with any kind of condiment. Try peanut butter and condensed milk for another Hong Kong-style staple. Or even just general favourites like raisin toast or cinnamon toast works just as well.
Vegan cinnamon toast - veganbaking.net
6. Turkish breads/Paninis You'll find these in most cafes, but they're just as easy to make at home. Ham and cheese is always a good way to go, or you can get fancy and throw an avocado, bacon and egg turkish onto the sandwich press.
7. Melts They're kind of like toast, but in a class of their own, because there's just no comparison to be made. Whether it's a classic tuna melt, or a party-favourite hamburger patty melt, melts are always a lot of fun.
Tuna and Swiss cheese melt - Bert Wagner, Flickr
8. Oats or Porridge It's healthy and delicious. There are a lot of instant, pre-flavoured oats in supermarkets nowadays, but plain oats with condensed milk for sweetness, or even a sprinkling of fruits works just as well.
Steel Cut Oats with blueberries - rpavich, Flickr
9. Yoghurt Another refreshingly healthy option. You can have this with a range of different fruits, a couple of favourites being blueberry and passionfruit, or even with muesli.
Greek yoghurt with blackcurrent jam and muesli - cyclonebill, Flickr
10. Cereal Good ol' cereal. It's easy and quick, and comes in so many different shapes and flavours, you'll never be bored. Perfect when you're curling up in front of the TV and looking for something to munch on.
Cornflakes with blueberries - musicfanatic29, Flickr
What are some of your favourite breakfast foods? Let us know in the comments, or share some of your own!