St Patrick’s Day is just around the corner, and Sydney is once again bursting with Irish pride.
Image by Mike Young.
There is the annual St Patrick’s Day Parade, which will be held on Sunday, 15 March, from midday. This colourful, lively display that will march from the corner of Bathurst Street and George Street, all the way up to James Street, bringing with it a sleuth of amazing floats and fun. They will also be holding a pre-parade event this year, from 10.30am to 11.50am, where you can get in bright and early to enjoy the festivities. Come along for all the music and dancing!
Sydney St Patrick's Day Parade. Image courtesy of event Facebook.
After the parade, there will also be the Family Day event at Hyde Park from 1pm. Belt out the Australian and Irish National Anthems with your fellows on the main stage, and enjoy the huge variety of food and merchandise stalls in the park itself. There will be a children’s area, a Citizenship Ceremony, and a seisiún tent on the day as well.
St Patrick’s Day is the day to get out and join in on all the fun, so here are five Sydney venues and their St Patrick’s Day specials:
1. PJ O’Brien’s Irish Pub PJ O’Brien’s is pulling out all the stops this year. Kick the day off with a Full Irish Breakfast, complete with Irish Pork Sausage, black pudding, and the works, you’ll also get a pint of Guinness or a glass of house wine, for just $25. As it ticks over to 11 o’clock, they’ll start churning out the lunch menus as well. The evening will deliver bar snacks until midnight.
This is all accompanied by live Irish entertainment, include traditional Irish dancers in the morning, and Kellys Heroes, from 8am to 11am. Bookings for breakfast are essential, so get in quickly!
St Patricks Day at P.J. O'Brien's. Image courtesy of venue Facebook.
For those who can’t make the actual date, join the crew at PJ’s for a day of games, music, and prizes on St Practice Day - Sunday, 15 March.
Contact: (02) 9290 1811
2. Scruffy Murphy’s Why stop at just one day, when you can go for the whole weekend? Good ol’ Scruffy Murphy’s starts things off on Friday, 13 March, and will feature performances by a line-up of DJs every night, as well as special live performances by Irish band Sásta.
A Full Irish Breakfast will be available for only $9.95 all weekend, and all visitors will receive a free Paddy’s day hat, starting on Saturday.
St Patrick's Day Weekend at Scruffy Murphy's. Image courtesy of venue Facebook.
Contact: (02) 9211 2002
3. The Mercantile Hotel It’s the biggest day of the year at The Mercantile, and they’ve got a full line-up of live performances and entertainment all day. A special St Patrick’s Day breakfast buffet will be available from 7am until 9am, but this is by booking only. Limited spots for breakfast are available, so get in early!
St Patrick's Day Breakfast at The Mercantile Hotel. Image courtesy of venue Facebook.
Contact: (02) 9247 3570
4. Cat and Fiddle Hotel One day just isn’t enough, so Cat and Fiddle is bringing a Pre-Paddy’s Party weekend to Balmain. Get yourself a true St Patrick’s Day experience, starting with all-day Irish Breakfasts from 10am, and continuing with a whole day of Irish-inspired food, music, and dancing. The doors open at 9am, so book in now.
Cat and Fiddle, Balmain. Image courtesy of venue Facebook.
Contact: (02) 9810 7931
5. Trinity Bar St Patrick’s Day at Trinity Bar start on Sunday, and finishes on Tuesday. Irish folk band Claddagh will be playing live on Tuesday night, so come on day and enjoy a pint while they perform.
St Patrick's Day at the Trinity, Surry Hills. Image courtesy of venue Facebook.
Contact: (02) 9319 6802
What will you be doing this St Patrick’s Day? Let us know in the comments!